Understanding the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) (also known as the Wage and Hour Law administered by the Department of Labor (DOL)) is critical within the human resources/payroll function. Understanding the dos and don’ts can be tricky – and noncompliance can have serious consequences.
This webinar will cover the ins and outs of exempt versus nonexempt classifications, including when funds can’t be deducted from an exempt staff member’s paycheck. It will briefly address independent contractors, recent decisions on paid/unpaid internships, pay equity (gender gap), and bans on salary questions. You will receive guidance on how to avoid/survive a DOL audit, including information about the new PAID (Payroll Audit Independent Determination) program. Also, despite an injunction, the FLSA salary test threshold is still on the table.
- Exempt and nonexempt classifications and rules for deductions
- Ins and outs of independent contractor status and paid/unpaid internships
- Pay policies that should be in place
- Pay equity
- Salary question bans
- How to avoid/survive a DOL audit and the new PAID program
- Keeping tabs on future regulatory changes
- Sample pay policies (breaks, travel, safe harbor, and exempt deductions)
- Sample self-audit questionnaire for FLSA compliance
- Sample self-audit checklist for pay equity compliance
- Job description development and analysis checklist
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This information session is for all human resources and payroll staff.
PLEASE NOTE: The live webinar option allows you to have one telephone connection for the audio portion and one Internet connection (from a single computer terminal) to view online visuals as the presentation is delivered. You may have as many people as you like listen from your office speaker phone.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER – Kay Robinson, SPHR, Robinson HR Consulting, LLC
Kay is the Principal of Robinson HR Consulting, LLC. She has served as an HR consultant and practitioner for over 25 years, including 14+ years as Director of HR Consulting Services with RSM McGladrey; Assistant Vice Chancellor for HR at the University of North Carolina; and Associate Director for HR at the University of Rochester/Strong Memorial Hospital.
A frequent speaker, Kay received her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in HR/Adult Learning at the University of Rochester; is a Senior Certified Professional (SHRM – SCP) and a Certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) through the Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI).
Originally recorded on October 3, 2018.
Recorded webinar is available until April 30, 2018.
Free Digital Copy included with purchase to download and view beyond link expiration date.
Price includes sales tax.