Examiners expect compliance with the annual training requirements of the mortgage loan originator rules. Can you prove that training has been provided and that it was effective? This three-part mortgage lending training series will outline the required steps at each point of the mortgage lifecycle. Part 1 will focus on Reg B loan requirements at the time of application, requesting monitoring information, and providing appraisal/valuation notices. Fair lending and initial disclosure timing requirements will be addressed, as well as the areas highlighted below. Attend this in-depth series to learn how to avoid costly mistakes and satisfy examiners.
- How to take and process applications, including proper collection of monitoring information
- What is a “completed” application?
- Model application forms – determining which form to use for various loan types
- Overview and common problems with the new demographic information form, effective Jan. 1, 2018
- Procedures for applicants to “self-identify disaggregated” ethnicity and race data
- Difference between an inquiry, prequalification, and application – what regulations are triggered for each?
- Appraisal and other valuation requirements, providing appraisal copies, timing requirements, and waiver exceptions
- Fair lending – what you can and can’t ask
- TRID basics, common errors, and compliance tips
- HMDA monitoring information at the time of application and overview of 2018 HMDA coverage changes
- Initial flood determination, notice requirements, four “trip wire” events, and exemptions for detached structures on residential property
- Matrix of 28 types of consumer and commercial real-estate-secured loans showing requirements and disclosures timetable
- Checklist for consumer-purpose, closed-end loans secured by real property
- HMDA flowchart under the 2018 rules
- Suggested training topics for consumer and mortgage lenders and lending staff
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
DON’T MISS PARTS 2 & 3!
This program is the first of three in a series.
Mortgage Lender Training Part 2: Mortgage Life-of-Loan:
Processing, Underwriting & Notices
on Thursday, October 11, 2018
Mortgage Lender Training Part 3: Mortgage Life-of-Loan:
Decision-Making, Appraisals, Post-Closing Requirements
on Wednesday, November 14, 2018
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for mortgage lenders, compliance officers, auditors, loan officers, loan assistants, and loan administration staff. Both new and seasoned staff will benefit.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER – Susan Costonis, Compliance Consulting and Training for FIs
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer who began her career in 1978. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training. Susan has successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has been a compliance officer for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve. Susan has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and “translates” complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real-life examples.
Originally recorded on September 12, 2018.
Recorded webinar is available until March 31, 2019.
Free Digital Copy included with purchase to download and view beyond link expiration date.
Price includes sales tax.