As long as loans are being made, fair lending issues are here to stay. Although overt discrimination is infrequent, disparate treatment or disparate impact can occur inadvertently. Examiners expect financial institutions to conduct comparative file reviews to identify potential fair lending issues – which you want to find well before an examiner does!
Awareness, monitoring, and periodic comparative file review can lessen the likelihood of adverse issues arising. This informative webinar will cover the steps of a comparative file review and provide worksheets and a report format to make it easier.
- Types of discrimination, including overt, disparate treatment, disparate impact
- Lending practices and standards, including pricing, underwriting, file documentation, and exception monitoring
- Steps examiners take during fair lending exams
- How and why to conduct a fair lending self-assessment (set your fair lending standards parameters)
- Step-by-step guidance on how to conduct a fair lending comparative file review, from pulling a sample to a final report
- Guidance on conducting an electronic comparison using loan data from your system
- Fair lending self-assessment questionnaire
- Excel spreadsheet for data capture (automatically generates trend analysis)
- HMDA data collection worksheet with all the new data fields required
- Report boilerplate to summarize your analysis (for board reporting)
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is directed to compliance officers, loan officers (commercial and consumer), lending support staff, and auditors. Board members and management will also benefit from this timely session, because they are ultimately responsible for your fair lending standards.
Please note: The live webinar option allows you to have one telephone connection for the audio portion and one Internet connection (from a single computer terminal) to view online visuals as the presentation is delivered. You may have as many people as you like listen from your office speaker phone.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER – Ann Brode-Harner, Brode Consulting Services, Inc.
Ann Brode-Harner began her career in 1973 and has continued her service as a consultant to regional and community financial institutions through a wide range of areas including strategic planning, lending, deposits, marketing, training, compliance, and management. Ann is a well-respected presenter and has spoken to audiences across the country for over 30 years. She has presented sessions for numerous state associations and has taught at the School of Banking Administration at the University of Wisconsin as well as many other state banking schools. Ann is the author of The Bank Deposit Documentation Manual for Front-Line Personnel published by Bankers Publishing Company, and is well represented in numerous industry publications.
Originally recorded on August 14, 2018.
Recorded webinar is available until February 28, 2019.
Free Digital Copy included with purchase to download and view beyond link expiration date.
Price includes sales tax.