Financial institutions provide great value to the American economy. But that value comes with risks. Strategic-minded institutions do not strive to eliminate risk or even to minimize it – they strive to manage risk at the enterprise-wide level. These enterprises seek to manage risk exposure so that, at any given time, they incur just enough of the right kind of risk – no more, no less – to effectively pursue their strategic goals. This is referred to as “optimal risk-taking.” This webinar will go through a step-by-step process to develop strong risk assessments for key areas of your institution. You will learn about developing an enterprise-wide process to conduct risk assessments in a practical, sustainable, and understandable way. You will walk away with practical tools and examples you can immediately implement.HIGHLIGHTS
- Overall view of enterprise risk management (ERM) and key components
- Three key areas of ERM and how risk assessments fit in
- The risk assessment process
- Identifying and assessing risks – enterprise wide
- What is a risk assessment system (RAS) and how does it affect the CAMELS rating?
- Top eight risks and other important ones
- How to conduct an ERM risk assessment using a matrix – the core of risk assessments
- Various risk assessments based on areas of risk
- ERM risk assessment template (Excel spreadsheet)
- IT risk assessment template (Excel spreadsheet)
- Internal controls risk assessment template (Excel spreadsheet)
- Detailed list of categories included in an IT risk assessment
- Categories included in an internal controls risk assessment
- Useful website links
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for risk managers, chief risk officers, compliance officers, chief operating officers, chief credit officers, internal auditors, and the entire risk management team.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER – Marcia “Marci” Malzahn Malzahn Strategic
Marci Malzahn is the president and founder of Malzahn Strategic, a consultancy focused on strategic planning, enterprise risk management, and talent management for financial institutions. Marci has 23 years of banking experience, with the last ten as the EVP/CFO/COO of a community bank she helped start and where she oversaw all operations. In her last year as EVP/COO/CRO, Marci created and focused on the bank’s risk management program.
Before starting the bank in 2005, Marci worked for a $34 million nonprofit where she led IT, HR, and finance. The recipient of several professional awards, Marci has published three books and is an international bilingual speaker who frequently presents at banking conferences. She holds a Bachelor’s in Business Management from Bethel University and is a graduate of the Graduate School of Banking in Madison, Wisconsin.
Originally recorded on April 12, 2018.
Recorded webinar link is available until October 31, 2018.
Free Digital Copy included with purchase to download and view beyond link expiration date.
Price includes sales tax.