Homeowners are increasingly tapping the equity in their homes through HELOCs (home equity lines of credit). Regulation Z has very specific requirements for HELOCs that dictate what and when information must be provided. There are also specific limitations on what can and cannot be done during the HELOC’s term.
Some financial institutions have tried to make the process more consumer-friendly – sometimes with unintended results. Consider this scenario. “We will allow borrowers to pay HELOC opening fees with an advance against the line.” Is that permissible? How should it be disclosed? Join us to learn the answer to these questions and more. Today’s increased HELOC demand provides an opportune time to review these important requirements.
- Preparing for a HELOC program, including an overview of the guiding principles
- HELOC application and account opening documents
- Subsequent requirements, including statements
- Steps to ensure you are adequately addressing HELOC end-of-draw risk
- Dos and don’ts of a line management program (capping or freezing of a borrower’s line)
- Manual detailing Regulation Z requirements for HELOCs (with more detail than the presentation) to assist participants in dealing with complex, HELOC-related issues
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This insightful webinar will benefit anyone involved in the HELOC process, including decision makers, management, lenders, processors, and loan servicing personnel.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER – Bill Elliott, CRCM, Young & Associates, Inc.
Bill Elliott has over 35 years of banking experience. As a senior compliance consultant and manager of the compliance division with Young & Associates, Inc., Bill works on a variety of compliance-related issues, including leading compliance seminars, conducting compliance reviews, conducting in-house training, and writing compliance articles and training materials.
Bill’s career includes 15 years as a compliance officer and CRA officer in a large community bank, as well as working at a large regional bank. He has experience with consumer, commercial, and mortgage loans, and has managed a variety of bank departments, including loan review, consumer/commercial loan processing, mortgage loan processing, loan administration, credit administration, collections, and commercial loan workout.
Originally recorded on September 5, 2018.
Recorded webinar is available until March 31, 2019.
Free Digital Copy included with purchase to download and view beyond link expiration date.
Price includes sales tax.